Once you have shredded chicken ready, you can add it to your recipe. If it will not be cooked immediately, it must be refrigerated to prevent spoilage.
Making your own shredded chicken breast is easier than you think! My favorite way to do this is in my crock pot. It makes perfectly shredded chicken every time which you can use for quick recipes throughout the week.
- Put the chicken breast in your crock pot, cover it with water or chicken broth if you wish so that the liquid is completely covering the chicken.
- Cover and cook on high 4 hours.
- Remove from crock pot and place on a dish. When cool enough to handle, shred it with two forks.
- Store a container in your refrigerator to use throughout the week.
- 4 chicken breasts
- can cream of mushroom soup (use any type of cream soup you like: cream of celery chicken)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 finely chopped cloves of garlic
- Salt and pepper
- Sandwich rolls or buns
- Season your chicken to taste with salt and pepper. Place in a pot with the chopped onion, garlic and cream of mushroom soup.
- Pour water over the chicken to cover. Add no more than 1 1/2 cups of water. Bring the entire mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer. Allow the chicken to cook through until it is no longer pink. Cooking time will depend on the thickness of your chicken breasts; usually 20-25 minutes will be needed to thoroughly cook.
- Remove the chicken from the pot. Place it on a cutting board or on a plate. Allow the chicken to rest about 5 to 10 minutes to cool and seal in the juices.
- Boil the mixture that remains in the pot until it is reduced and thickened while your chicken is resting. Turn the heat back down to simmer.
- Shred the chicken using two forks or your fingers. Put the shredded chicken back in the pot with the sauce mixture and heat through for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Toast sandwich buns or rolls to make a good old fashioned shredded chicken sandwich. Place the shredded chicken on the roll bun
Don't shred your chicken too thin or you may end up with a soggy sandwich. Substitute the soup with barbecue sauce to make spicy shredded chicken sandwiches. Add a dash of hot sauce too.
The Other Top Chicken Recipe
- How to Make Shredded Chicken for Use in Any Recipe
- How to Make Chicken Alfredo